Shower Mold Prevention and Removal Tips
Shower mold is a common problem for homeowners. Mold spores can exist almost everywhere and can grow rapidly when exposed to the warm, humid, damp conditions of a bathroom. The good news is, there are effective ways to remove mold and prevent it from coming back.
Preventing Mold in Your Shower
A good mold prevention routine can help reduce your chances of a mold problem or prevent an existing issue from recurring.
Here are five tips you can try to reduce your chances of shower mold:
- Reduce the humidity level in your bathroom by running ventilation fans, leaving the door open or opening your bathroom window whenever you are running the shower.
- Repair anything that is leaking water in your bathroom, including leaky faucets, ceiling leaks or leaky windows.
- Avoid standing water in your tub or sink. If your drains are draining slowly, consider cleaning them or calling a plumber.
- Regularly clean your bathroom with anti-mold cleaning products. You should pay special attention to items that are particularly vulnerable to becoming moldy, such as non-slip tub mats and shower curtains.
- Wipe wet surfaces, such as your shower doors and tub, dry after use.
Removing Mold From Your Shower
Attempting to remove black mold yourself can be a dicey proposition. Disturbing mold can cause the spores to spread to the air and be distributed throughout your home, which can lead to a bigger mold problem than you started with.
Another issue with do-it-yourself mold solutions is that some cleaning products remove mold stains, but may not remove all the mold spores, which can lead to mold re-growth. Some cleaning products also don’t work well for non-porous surfaces or can even cause damage to your property. For these reasons, it may be wise to contact a mold remediation specialist in Prospect Heights, IL.
Implementing these tips can help you avoid shower mold or prevent mold from returning. If you’ve already got mold growth, contacting a remediation specialist may be the best way to help you solve the problem.